JUDGING & SELECTION
- Up to ninety finalists will be selected to exhibit and notified by email on or before Monday 5th September 2022
- Selected work must be presented between Tuesday 6th and Tuesday 13th September 2022 only to:
‘The Mission to Seafarers Victoria, 717 Flinders Street, Docklands, VIC 3008’
- Judging will take place on Monday 26th September and the winners in each category will be announced at the official Opening Night & Awards Presentation on Thursday 29th September 2022
- Finalists will receive a formal invitation to attend the Opening of the Maritime Art Prize & Exhibition with one guest. Additional tickets can be purchased prior to the night for other guests
- Decisions made by both the selection and judging panels are final and there will be no discussion or correspondence regarding this process
- The hanging of artworks in the exhibition is at the discretion of the curator
- This year’s judges will be announced in due course
ADVERTISING & PROMOTION
The Maritime Art Prize & Exhibition is widely promoted through both print and digital media in an established campaign with an extensive reach. Advertisements are placed with ArtGuide, Arts Hub, Docklands News, and the National Trust, as well as several shipping related publications. Social Media platforms are also utilised to promote this highly regarded and well recognised institution.
FEES & COMMISSIONS
- Entry fee is AUD$45.00 (inc. GST) for each work submitted and is non-refundable
- All entries are listed for sale and must remain available for sale for the period of the exhibition. A 33% commission will be deducted from the sale price by the Mission to Seafarers-Victoria (MtSV)
- Artists will be paid for any sold artwork within 30 days of full payment by the purchaser
- Commission will also apply to the sale of any works that are purchased within 60 days of the end of the 2022 Exhibition, as hosted online by MtSV
COPYRIGHT FOR IMAGES
- Artists who receive an Award or a Highly Commended place in each category give license to the MtSV to reproduce images of their artworks for promoting the Maritime Art Prize and collateral announcements from 29th September 2022 to 28th September 2023 inclusive.
- Artists will be credited in all promotional activities where artwork images are reproduced.
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
- Entries open on Sunday 1st May 2022, and close strictly at 5pm AEST on Wednesday 31st August 2022
- Entries are to be submitted using the online entry process
- Submitted work(s) whether traditional or contemporary, must explore the maritime theme of ‘The Relationship between Humanity and the Sea’ thematically and/or literally. The Artist’s Statement must reflect the connection of the work to the theme.
- The Award is open to 2D artwork for wall hanging only. Works may not protrude further than 10cm from the wall. Mediums may include painting, mixed media, collage, or drawing. Photography, printmaking, and entirely digital works are excluded.
- Incomplete submissions will be ineligible for consideration
- Submissions that are not accompanied by payment will be ineligible for consideration
- Artists are invited to submit up to two works and both are eligible for selection. Selected works are accepted into the exhibition on the following terms:
- The work is an original work of the artist
- The work has been produced within the past two years and not previously entered in to the MtSV Maritime Art Prize
- Overall dimensions (not total surface area) including framing, do not exceed 140cm high x 140cm wide
- Diptych and Triptych proposals must be accompanied by a clear image of the assembled work and hanging instructions
- The weight of the artwork must not exceed 15kg
- Works framed under Perspex should be clearly marked for cleaning purposes.
- Works must be professionally presented, dry (paint) and clearly labelled on the back and ready to hang with secure hardware and hanging wires. Any works that arrive without hanging fixtures will be charged a hanging fee of AUD$25+GST
- Due to the individual nature of contractual arrangements between artists and galleries, it is the responsibility of represented artists to advise their gallery that they have entered work in the Maritime Art Prize & Exhibition. The Exhibition organisers acknowledge that the gallery gives consent to the represented artists to participate in the Exhibition and agrees to abide by the terms for exhibition and sales as specified in the Entry Criteria
- Benefit derived from entering this competition may be revoked should the artist be unable to ensure license to reproduce images of the artwork for publication due to existing copyright conditions with another party
- Artists’ exhibit at their own risk and will be responsible for the cost of freight each way and insurances whilst in transit and exhibition; works collected after the pickup deadline will incur storage fees
- All artworks will be repackaged in their original wrappings at the closure of the Exhibition ready to be collected – artists must supply return shipping details (including a return address) with their artwork. It is the responsibility of the artist to ensure works are professionally and securely packaged for transport/delivery and have glass taped and corners protected
- Neither the Mission to Seafarers-Victoria nor its employees or representatives will accept responsibility for any loss or damage, however caused, to any artwork whilst in their custody
- The Maritime Art Prize & Exhibition Committee reserves the right to reject any wet, dangerous, or delicate works that cannot be safely exhibited, or any work received in a condition unsuitable for presentation.
- Collection of all unsold works at the conclusion of the Exhibition is the responsibility of the artist. Works must be collected from Tuesday 18th October until Friday 28th October 2022, during MtSV operating hours 12pm-8pm.
- An artist’s signed authority is required if an agent of the artist is collecting.
- Artists dispatching works by ‘Pay on Delivery/Freight Collect’ to a nominated return address must contact the email@example.com prior to the closure of the exhibition to confirm details.
- If works are not collected within three months of final collection date, work will be treated at the discretion of the Maritime Art Prize & Exhibition Committee and/or the Management of the Mission to Seafarers Victoria Inc.
- For further enquiries please email firstname.lastname@example.org