BACONDRUM creates dark-themed public art commissions inspired by industrial metal, hip hop, underground graphic culture, and the legacy of colonial and religious conflicts.
Bacondrum (b.1979, New Zealand/Aotearoa)
Raised in suburban Melbourne as a descendent of gravediggers and grave decorators, bacondrum’s work reflects on the intersection between history, politics and the morbid. His art combines his own family’s traditions with an eclectic range of influences, from nineties punk, Industrial metal and hip hop to underground comics, religious syncretism and the legacy of colonialism.
Bacondrum participated in the early noughties Melbourne stencil art scene. He has had consistent involvement in public art projects, events and collaborative murals across Melbourne and regional Victoria for more than 20 years. Various public and commercial illustrative and design works have been produced in this time, from digital commissions to murals on metropolitan streetscapes, skate parks, suburban garages and fences. Bacondrum has also participated in a range of formal exhibitions across Victoria, including at the Art Gallery of Ballarat’s Romancing the Skull (2017) and Locals Rule (2018) exhibitions and all three White Night Ballarat events (2016-2019). He has exhibited in a myriad of other private gallery spaces.
The artist’s work itself is dark and reflects a wide range of styles, with elements of science fiction and horror, New York subway graffiti and literary fiction. It feeds off the artist’s own extensive travel and interest in diverse political and religious conflicts – including sectarianism in Northern Ireland, the tyranny of Stalinist Soviet Russia and Catholicism’s fusion with Mesoamerican belief systems in Mexico.
Bacondrum is also heavily influenced by graphic illustration and comic artists including Vaughn Bode and Robert Crumb and the British comics series 2000AD. His work mixes graphic design, figurative drawing, aerosol art and traditional painting techniques.
2016, Federation University
Bachelor of Visual Arts
Awards: 2016 Vice-Chancellors Commendation
2016 NAVA (National Association for the Visual Arts) Award 2016 Cheryl Twomey Memorial Award
President: MSA (Mildura Students Association 2015)
Awards: 2014 Regional Commitment Award
2014 Pro Vice-Chancellors Commendation
2009, Northern Melbourne Institute of TAFE
Diploma of Graphic Design
• 2021 – Colorum - Group Show, The Old Buthershop Gallery, Soldiers Hill.
• 2018-19 – Locals Rule - Strategic Defense Initiative (Star Wars), Group Show, Sculpture, Art Gallery of Ballarat
• 2018 – ANL Maritime Art Awards, Painting, Mission to Seafarers, 717 Flinders Street, Docklands. (October 5th – 26th)
• 2018 – Mixed Blessings, Group Show, Painting, Mercure Ballarat, 613 Main Road, Ballarat. (June 7th – July 8th)
• 2018 – Where The Soul Never Dies, solo show, Painting, Rat Gallery, 2a Lydiard St, Ballarat. (May 1st – 31st)
• 2017 – ANL Maritime Art Awards, Peoples Choice Award finalist, Painting, Mission to Seafarers, 717 Flinders Street, Docklands. (October 6th – 27th)
• 2017 – Cultis Mortis, solo show, Painting, Rat Gallery, 2a Lydiard St, Ballarat. (March 1st – 31st)
• 2016 – ANL Maritime Art Awards, Peoples Choice Award finalist, Painting, Mission to Seafarers, 717 Flinders Street, Docklands. (October 7th – 21st)
• 2016 – Soldiers Hill Art Walk, Group exhibition, paintings, various locations, Soldiers Hill, Victoria, (May 7th – 15th)
• 2015 - Halloween Creep Show, Group exhibition, Paintings, Wolveschildren Gallery, 81a Humffray St, Nth Ballarat, Victoria, (Oct 31st – Nov 25th)
• 2015 - Mildura Palimpsest Biennale #10 - XS-Collective, Art Caching Project, various locations, Mildura (Oct 2nd – 5th)
• 2015 – Out of the cube, Group exhibition, Sculpture, Thirning Villa40 Arthur Street, Ashfield, New South Wales (September 9th – 19th)
• 2015 - XS-Collective, Group exhibition, Mildura Art Centre, 199 Cureton Avenue, Mildura (May 7th – 28th)
• 2015 - XS-Collective, Group exhibition ADFA Project Space, 33 Deakin Avenue, Mildura (Feb 16th)
• 2014 - XS-Collective, Group exhibition ADFA Project Space, 33 Deakin Avenue, Mildura (Oct 21st)
• 2014 - May You Dream of the Devil, Solo exhibition Stefano’s Gallery 25, 25 Deakin Avenue, Mildura (May 1st – June 31)
• 2014 - Home Grown, Group exhibition The Art Vault, 43 Deakin Avenue, Mildura (July 2nd – 21st)
• 2013 - Snap Shot, Group exhibitionThe Art Vault, 43 Deakin Avenue, Mildura (August 7th - 26)
• 2013 - La Mallee Salon, Group exhibition Mildura Art Centre LEAP project space, 39 Langtree Ave, Mildura (March 29 - April 19)
• 2012 - Kustom Culture, Group exhibition Mildura Art Centre LEAP project space, 39 Langtree Ave, Mildura (October)
• 2012 - After Dark Arts Market, Group exhibition Mildura Art Centre LEAP project space, 39 Langtree Ave, Mildura (Easter weekend)
• 2010 - Solo Exhibition,Brunswick Arts, 2A Little Breeze St, Brunswick (November 5th – 21st)
• 2010 - Entry 2010, Group exhibition Brunswick Arts, 2A Little Breeze St, Brunswick (February 5th - March 5th)
• 2008 - Entry 2008, Group exhibition Brunswick Arts, 2A Little Breeze St, Brunswick (March 8th - 22nd)
• 2004 - All Class, Group exhibition Cusp Gallery, 238 High St, Northcote (November 17th - 27th)
• 2004 - Drawing Blood, Group exhibitionEarly Gallery, 201 Smith St, Collingwood (June 9th - July 9th)
• 2003 - Molotov, Group exhibition Early Gallery, 201 Smith St, Collingwood (October 29 - November 12)
• 2003 - Autonomous Anonymous, Group exhibition Early Gallery, 201 Smith St, Collingwood (June 28 - July 5)
• 2003 - Grassroots: A fundraiser for the Tarkine, Group exhibition Hogan Gallery, 301 Smith St, Collingwood (November 29th - 30th)
• 2004- The Empty Show: Group exhibition Chaucers Convention Centre, Canterbury Rd, Camberwell (June 2003 - January)
• 1998 - Subterranean: Group exhibition and fundraiser Lennox St, Richmond (September 13th to the 25th)
COMMISSIONS AND GRANTS
• 2021 Bunyip and birds, Mural at private residence, Ballarat.
• 2021 Anthropomorphism, Mural at private residence, Ballarat
• 2020 Grading Machine, Mural at private residence, Ballarat
• 2020 Native Toughs, Mural at private residence, Ballarat
• 2020 The Ubiquitous Black Kite, Mural at Mambas, Kigali. Address: KG 680 St, Kigali, Rwanda.
• 2019 White Night Ballarat: Cherubim on a Sunday Drive Through Hell, A mural painted in Ballarat’s CBD as part of the White Night Ballarat Festival (Armstrong St)
• 2019 Memento Mori, Large mural, Lost Ones Bar, 14 Camp St, Ballarat.
• 2019 Behemoth, Small mural, Lost Ones Bar, 14 Camp St, Ballarat.
• 2019 Crazy Face, Mural at private residence, Ballarat.
• 2019 Monsters, Mural at private residence, Ballarat.
• 2018 White Night Ballarat: Ghosts of Eureka, A mural painted in Ballarat’s CBD as part of the White Night Ballarat Festival (Mair St).
• 2017 Death Ride, Mural at private residence, Ballarat.
• 2017 Los Mineros (the Miners), Four panel public artwork created to coincide with the Art Gallery of Bal- larat’s exhibition Romancing the Skull, Art Gallery of Ballarat
• 2017 The Miners, Mural painted in Ballarat’s CBD (opposite Hop Temple bar).
• 2017 Vikings, Mural at private residence, Ballarat.
• 2017 Make Your Mark @ The Skate Park, 2 murals at skate park facilities around the Southern Grampians Shire.
• 2017 White Night Ballarat: Hop Laneway of Art - Cempasúchil (Tagetes Erecta) Mural, A mural painted in Ballarat’s CBD as part of the White Night Ballarat Festival (opposite Hop Temple bar).
• 2017 Golden Plains Skate Park Murals, 2 murals at skate park facilities around the Golden Plains Shire
• 2016 The Street Art Project, mural in Field St, Ballarat CBD – Large mural created with 12 young people aged between 12 and 18. Located at the rear of Bolton’s Office National in CBD, City of Ballarat Council.
• 2016 Golden Plains Skate Park Murals, 4 murals at skate park facilities around the Golden Plains Shire
• 2013 Artists in Schools Grant - 2 x murals. Department of Education and Early Childhood Development and Arts Victoria. Working in conjunction with Irymple Secondary College students and teachers as well as Mildura Regional Waste Management Group to bring this project to fruition.
• 2015 MIldura Mall Makeover, 2x Street art Ping-Pong tables – One created with
Irymple secondary College art students and the other created with Lardil artist Sonja Hodge, Mildura Rural City Council
• 2015 Mildura Riverfront Development, Illustrations - Wayfinding signage, Mildura Rural City Council
• 2010 William St Mural, William St, Abbotsford, in collaboration with Adrian Doyle and The ERG Crew.
• 2009 Abbottsford Boxing Gym Mural, mural next to Collingwood Train Station, Abbotsford, in collaboration with The ERG Crew.
• 2009 Napier Street Mural, mural opposite the Napier Hotel, Fitzroy, in collaboration with The ERG Crew.
• 2009 United Firefighters Union Project, mural celebrating 100 years of the Firefighters Union, Fitzroy. In collaboration with The ERG Crew.
Showing the single artwork